Thursday, April 12, 2012

Why the Monk? - Page 5

[:1]I really enjoyed the D2 melee assassin. While she was underpowered for the effort required, it was a very kinetic playstyle that required more than taping down your left mouse button to clear hell. The monk looks to build upon this, creating another light, quick character that needs finesse to excel.|||For me, I always had an affinity for melee classes.. for getting into the "thick of it". Couple that with the fact that I like to be fast and aggressive, I'm just drawn to the pure speed the monk has shown in videos. Whether he can effectively kill faster than he takes damage will be the key, and if the balance for this class isn't there I may retreat back to the barb. I never felt like the assassin got that kind of balance down right. I'm hoping that the monk "feels" better to play.|||dude monks are awesome; reminds me of the shaolin monks lol|||I hope the monk will be a sort of improved assassin. The first assassin build I tried had a lot of cool moves and really really fast hit-rate, but never seemed to kill stuff fast enough. Although it might have been my build that was faulty. Anyway, I want a character that hits fast, moves fast and does it with flair. I think the monk will be perfect for that.|||For me I like the speed and twitchiness of the character. It reminds me of the assassin from D2 with a mix of the paladin. Everything i've read points to it being a fun class to play and well balanced, though the beta b-roll was disappointing.|||I choose the monk because I use to meditate and im also a fighter |||Quote:








Based on currently existing character info, the monk seems to be the best character to not only survive playing alone, but also seems to offer a great deal of multiplayer support. It's basically a pally/assassin hybrid and has the best of both worlds IMO. I mean you've also got access to a quasi-amplify damage skill as well, which was arguably one of the best skills in D2.

Even if it doesn't include lowering physical immunity in D3, how can you lose? There's still a ton of other auras and build-up skills were certainly fun and devastating at times with the Assassin. I'll try out the others no doubt, but monk is gonna be first choice for me hands-down.




I agree with this. The mix of skills seems to offer a lot of flexibility to deal damage, but also to provide survival and support your team. Potentially has 2 gap closing abilities (Dashing Strike and 7 sided), has a dispell (which nobody else has), has a heal, has an immunity bubble (and potentially another immunity during the animation for 7 sided strike), has a Cheat Death ability, has team buffs.

I like the combination and it's potential in team Pvp.|||Quote:








I'm assuming the people reading this forum are highly interested in playing a Monk. That he/she'll be your first or 2nd char played, and that you plan on playing the Monk a lot. So... why?

What draws you to the character? Makes you want to spend your limited gaming time driving a Monk around, rather than a Barb or a wiz or whatever?

Do you like the lore and the character bio, or the fast-hitting attack style of gameplay, or the did you actually like the Monk in Hellfire, or are there some Monk skills that you can't wait to try, etc?

There are no right or wrong answers to this; I'm just curious.




For me, it was the female monk costume from Blizzcon. |||When I pick a class I like to look at general play-style of the class and how it is implemented, theme play-styles that could be made, and the Lore and theme of the class.

And after much thought and internal debates, I would have to say that the Monk is going to be my first and main character that I will play(at least until the Expansion(s) that might change my mind when with their new classes.).

I like the idea of a speedy melee class(general play-style.) and while I played the Assassin for a little while in D2 and tried to do the same thing, it felt clunky/poorly implemented to me and soon left me disappointed, not so with the Monk(at least from what I have seen.). Making a Monk that focuses on dodge, or making a Monk that uses no combo skills and having only spirit using skills intrigues me(theme play-styles.). And so far I just love the Lore and theme of the Monk(strangely I didn't care much for the Paladin's Lore/theme. I just don't like the Sword and Board characters and most religious characters don't have an eastern theme in it.)|||At first I was much more interested in casters, but I have to admit I've really warmed up to the monk after watching several gameplay vids. He will now be the second character I make (after wizard).

I just think he looks more fun than any other class to be honest. He strikes me as a finesse melee character, specializing in quick combo attacks & crit strikes. I also think that of all the classes (with the exception of maybe the demon hunter), we know the least about him, so there's still a lot of mystery there for me. Moreover, I think he plays unlike any class we've seen in previous diablo titles. He's like a mix between the martial arts tree of the assassin and a zeal paladin.

I get the sense that he'll be incredibly powerful once you get him the right gear. In a lot of the vids we saw, he comes off looking weak, but this was all with garbage act 1 equipment. I've been looking at his skills and traits and he has a lot of interesting options. I am particularly interested in a crit heavy build that gets +precision gear.

Finally, I think melee will dominate D3. The shift in defense (from evading hits to damage reduction) means that melee classes, who tend to use bulkier armors in the first place, are going to get crazy high damage reduction. This coupled with the fact that their autostats will naturally be a lot beefier than a caster unit leads me to think that they will have an inherent advantage over ranged classes. Only time will tell if this is correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment