Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Monks as shield users? - Page 2

I dont see what some people see, the shield and board to me is not an archetype. that nothing more than a playing style of a class and not really as needed since the barbarian can fill this role of you want a sword and shield. Leave the monk be is very amazing and does not need the protection of a block of wood because he has got his fist.|||Quote:








I don't understand the obsession with a "shield class". Is it just to gain access to lame overpowered game breaking skills like smite and holy shield or what? I'm really glad there isn't a Paladin style class in the game. Holy warrior monk? cool beans.




Personally, I like knights. I think they're cool. Holy shield was cool. Never made a smiter. I think there could be a lot of viable shield based abilities.|||Quote:








Personally, I like knights. I think they're cool. Holy shield was cool. Never made a smiter. I think there could be a lot of viable shield based abilities.




I like knights as well, but we've been there, done that. I wouldn't want to see another one, there's only so much you can do with a shield after all and sadly I suspect most people are missing the Paladin because of his overpowered skills rather than his character.|||Monks using a shield ? why not ? but from the tidbits ive been reading there is not only "block" but also a "dodge" mechanic in the game ill bet the monk is big on dodge so shields only have an average if not sub par usefulness when equipped.

does he qualify as a shield class, no way . he is the next incarnation of the assassin: speed, combos and crippling debuffs hit and run all the way.

ill bet a shield class. cleric/pally/defender/knight whatever will be in the expansion|||Quote:








I like knights as well, but we've been there, done that. I wouldn't want to see another one, there's only so much you can do with a shield after all and sadly I suspect most people are missing the Paladin because of his overpowered skills rather than his character.




I've seen monks with ridiculous martial arts skills, asian wizards, witchdoctors, and barbarians up and down too. Scrap the game?|||Quote:








Monks using a shield ? why not ? but from the tidbits ive been reading there is not only "block" but also a "dodge" mechanic in the game ill bet the monk is big on dodge so shields only have an average if not sub par usefulness when equipped.




You've made me remember something. The old Barb trees had a passive that gave him an innate chance to dodge. Its not there anymore, guess they figured it would make the Monk less special if the Barb could also do it.|||Quote:








I don't understand the obsession with a "shield class". Is it just to gain access to lame overpowered game breaking skills like smite and holy shield or what? I'm really glad there isn't a Paladin style class in the game. Holy warrior monk? cool beans.




Sword and board is less about "sweet shield skills" as it is simply about providing a more defensive-oriented melee play style. The barbarian is a heavy-hitting offense with two-handers or dual-wielding. That is the barbarian's specialty. Not everyone wants the barbarian or the monk's melee play style. If you do not get the appeal, that does not somehow render the well-established fantasy archetype moot.


Quote:








I like knights as well, but we've been there, done that. I wouldn't want to see another one, there's only so much you can do with a shield after all and sadly I suspect most people are missing the Paladin because of his overpowered skills rather than his character.




Barbarian or wizard much? I miss the paladin because of the play style and rather than the power of his skills.|||I'm sure being a quick all-offense melee character that probably wears light armor, he will have a high dodge, and perhaps parry chance as well. However, using a shield doesn't sound very monk-like to me. It would be rather hard to perform combos with one hand holding a shield.

I do however see the possibility of a high parry/block chance while wielding a staff instead of fists. Perhaps this is the defensive play-style equip?|||Quote:








I do however see the possibility of a high parry/block chance while wielding a staff instead of fists. Perhaps this is the defensive play-style equip?




Absolutely! the true nature of the monks skill trees is yet to be revealed ill bet there are some defensive capabilities that could easily maximised for a defensive style of play, heavy debuffs , crippling, dodging and blinding|||I think the monk will make a pretty good knight-like character. Not monk-like? Is a melee wizard very wizard-like?

Slap on a sword, shield, and some heavy armor and I think we have a really fast paced knight on our hands. Remember in the videos where they said his dexterity is matched by none (or something close to that)? Doesn't higher dex ususally mean higher block %?

I think he can definitely pull off a knight.

No comments:

Post a Comment