Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Monks as shield users?

Well, a lot of people love the monk but seem to feel a bit bad since our shield user is gone; some say it doesn't fill the "sword and shield" archetype so it could've been a good expansion character.

Do we even know if bucklers or shields are so against the concept of a monk? Mainly of a martial artist monk?

I for one think the theme still fits with some shields in there... What do you think?:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/media/se...1---loc_33.jpg

http://www.wingtsunusa.com/media/VWT04.jpg

http://www.wle.com/media/VHG20D.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6RRkJyccqt...0/P6210350.JPG

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs38/300W...phaeljesus.jpg (replace the armor on the wrist with a shield)|||I think he'd be better off with hands blocking stuff.|||Well the Barbarian covers the shield class thing. I don't know that you can meaningfully make a class that has lots of shield skills.

Next, you guys will be wanting a boots class, a gloves class and a helmet class. Why do Diablo players get fixated on stupid **** like <piece of equipment> classes?|||Firstly, the Barb population is usally split between dual-wielders and shield-users. So no, you can't really say the Barb fills that role completely, not to mention the fact that he has no skills to support your statement.

Secondly, no one said anything about glove class, helmet class, etc, you're just going off on a rather pointless, irrelevent tangent. Shield class is rather viable and that's why it appeared in D2 in the first place.|||Quote:








Firstly, the Barb population is usally split between dual-wielders and shield-users. So no, you can't really say the Barb fills that role completely, not to mention the fact that he has no skills to support your statement.




If the Barbarian population is split between dual-wielders and shield users, then you kind of contradict yourself. See, if shield users are a subset of Barbarians, then Barbarians fill the role of shield users. It also suggests that the use of a particular piece of equipment is a rather small part of a class.

Also maybe check the skill listings, I'm pretty sure I saw a Barbarian passive skill relating to shields.


Quote:








Secondly, no one said anything about glove class, helmet class, etc, you're just going off on a rather pointless, irrelevent tangent. Shield class is rather viable and that's why it appeared in D2 in the first place.




Right, but what I said was that the glove-warrior/helmet-mancer or whatever is going to be the next class idea that you guys will be fierce proponents of.

I don't think a 'shield class' is very viable or sexy at all. Essentially you're talking about a piece of wood with bits of metal on it. Also since I guess you're probably referring to the Paladin, you know he had only two abilities that required the use of a shield? Only two, which is about 7 percent of his skills.

I think if you want shield skills, Blizzard should give the Barbarian some shield related attacks or something... but it really brings up the question, what can you do with a shield that you can't with a sword? Block things, that's about it. Consider the actual gameplay significance rather than just thoughtlessly throwing out vague ideas based on shield fanboy-ism.|||I imagine the Monk as using his bare fists and hands to block any incoming attacks :~|||Would be cool if the Monk just uses his weapon as a shield, like he allready kinda does with one of his skills.

Where the Barb just 'takes the hit' I see the Monk more as a dodger or deflecter and with his speed he can probably just do that with a weapon. Grab the arrow out of the sky or thwirl it's Bo so fast it becomes a shield...|||Many good points you make, Choikstain. Although I must point out to you that I choose my words wisely in that I said they don't "fill the role completely", not as you had percieved me contradicting myself by saying they don't fill that role at all when in fact there are indeed shield-toting Barbs out there.

Also, you say that the Barb fills the role of shield-user, but it seems you imply that it is a small part of the class. It is therein that I voice my opinion of wanting a more shield-heavy class; I just want a class that relies on that shield nearly as much as their weapon (but not equally), as that's obviously not the case for our dual-wielding Barb.

Also, does anyone recall Smite-dins owning all that is meelee?? I rest my case.|||Quote:








Right, but what I said was that the glove-warrior/helmet-mancer or whatever is going to be the next class idea that you guys will be fierce proponents of.




Okay, but we're STILL not talking about gloves, boots, helmets, etc, which I don't think would EVER be viable nor would I ever advocate. Thanks for your two-cents on that matter, can we end it here?|||I don't understand the obsession with a "shield class". Is it just to gain access to lame overpowered game breaking skills like smite and holy shield or what? I'm really glad there isn't a Paladin style class in the game. Holy warrior monk? cool beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment