Monday, April 16, 2012

What The Monk "Heavy armor" could look like. - Page 2

I hate to be the sole detractor in this thread, because that armor does indeed look interesting and noteworthy.

Unfortunately, I actually have a hard time seeing this guy make all kinds of nimble, extreme moves wearing all that cloth (and armored cloth). Maybe it's just me who fails massively at martial arts know-how though.

The way I see it, he should be sleeve-less and the lower clothing should be more segmented and leave more freedom to his legs.

However, I will say that this armor is very inspiring and makes me more confident that Blizzard can and will design good looking armor for the Diablo 3 Monk.|||@ OP: Where did that pic come from? If I didn't know better, I would swear that was D3 concept art. The beads, tattoos, shoulderplate, and overall "feel" of this pic are so close to what I see in present monk concept art that I don't think I could tell the difference.

Nice find. I could def get behind this look for a heavy armored monk.|||Quote:








@ OP: Where did that pic come from?




I just found it randomly, sadly it doesn't have any signature or title that says where or who that concept art belongs to .. i wish i could know XD


Quote:








If I didn't know better, I would swear that was D3 concept art. The beads, tattoos, shoulderplate, and overall "feel" of this pic are so close to what I see in present monk concept art that I don't think I could tell the difference.




That's what struck me when i first saw it, it highly resembles D3 style and quality in concept arts and the monk there shares some similarities with the D3 monk indeed.|||Quote:




Unfortunately, I actually have a hard time seeing this guy make all kinds of nimble, extreme moves wearing all that cloth (and armored cloth). Maybe it's just me who fails massively at martial arts know-how though.




Aikido

|||Quote:








Aikido

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAc-gQIeAaI




Thanks for the video, it convinced me of my error with the sleeves.

Unfortunately, it doesn't completely convince me with the legs, since in the video, they're wearing pants (not long robes) with seperate pieces for the legs.

I have no trouble seeing a monk with baggy, long-sleeved pants perform high kicks, roundhouse kicks and jump kicks etc., but a robed guy (especially if the robe has armor plating on it) would use a more subtle form of martial arts requiring less jumping, because the flying robes would, in my view, work against him.

The pics posted by Leugi struck me as more believable, as they seem less "heavy" and "weighed down", but still well-armored, while clearly maintaining body flexibility.

EDIT: about the last bit I said, I'd better correct myself a bit: some of the versions in Leugi's picture(s) worked for me, some of them didn't (large, gnarly shoulder plates would just be in the way for instance).|||The original pic is not robes either. He has proper trousers, and a piece of armour that hangs in front (presumably one in the back), and free sides.

He could do just about anything in terms of nimbleness with that on!|||It looks like it wouldn't be very comfortable for the monk to move around very quickly in that kind of steel robe-looking thing. If he was wearing metallic/brigandine pants with a loincloth (front and back; not sure what the loincloth on the back is called, but anyway, think Tabards) that'd be pretty cool.

Possibly some kind of bracers too, I'd like that. Really, though, I think it's pretty hard to mess up a monk.|||Quote:








I was surfing the internet when i found this picture of a heavily armored monk, at first i though it has something to do with D3 .. but apparently it doesn't ... still ... the heavy armor look of them monk really looks cool and could give us an idea on how the heavy armor of the monk in d3 could look like.



Any comments, discussions, ... etc etc are welcome ... enjoy




This is a D3 monk, it's a monk character, more specifically it's one of the Monk-leaders that run the monastery and tell the other monks what to do, which is why he is not dressed for combat but rather in a robe. You can tell this because he has a higher number of dots on his forehead. he even has the same bald headed, beard with oversized bead necklace thing going on.|||Quote:








This is a D3 monk, it's a monk character, more specifically it's one of the Monk-leaders that run the monastery and tell the other monks what to do, which is why he is not dressed for combat but rather in a robe. You can tell this because he has a higher number of dots on his forehead. he even has the same bald headed, beard with oversized bead necklace thing going on.




All that you said makes sense .. sure ... but we still don't have a single solid proof this artwork has any thing to do with Diablo 3 Monk or Blizz all together.|||Where did the art come from anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment